Computing Units 1 & 2
In Unit 1 students focus on how data, information and networked digital systems can be used to meet a range of users’ current and future needs. Students examine the technical underpinnings of wireless and mobile networks, and create a website to present different viewpoints on a contemporary issue. In Unit 2 students develop their computational thinking skills when using a programming or scripting language to create solutions to real world problems.
Areas of Study
- U1O1 – Graphic Solution of Primary Data
- U1O2 – Network Design
- U1O3 – Collaborative Website Development
- U2O1 – Programming or Scripted Language
- U2O2 – Data Manipulation and Visualisation
- U2O3 – Relational Database Management Software Solution
Your internal assessment is based on your performance in School Assessed Coursework completed on each of the six areas of study. Midyear and End of year examinations contribute to your assessment.
No previous experience is necessary but the study of Business year 10 IT is an advantage.
This subject is particularly valuable for those considering tertiary study in a variety of fields. Data analysis is becoming an increasingly important field offering many different highly paid careers.
Informatics Units 3 & 4
In Informatics Units 3 and 4 students focus on data, information and information systems. In Unit 3 students consider data and how it is acquired, managed, manipulated and interpreted to meet a range of needs. Students undertake the SAT process on a topic of their choice, formulate a hypothesis and investigate the topic to develop a conclusion. In Unit 4 students design, develop and evaluate a multimodal, online solution that effectively communicates the findings.
Areas of Study
Unit 3 –
- Area of Study 1 – A relational database management system (RDBMS)
Drawing or graphics software
- Area of Study 2 – Appropriate tool for documenting project plans software tools to capture, store, prepare and manipulate data
Unit 4 –
- Area of Study 1 – Software tools to manipulate data for creating a multimodal online solution
- Area of Study 1 – Appropriate tool for documenting project plans
- Unit 3 Outcome 1 – Database SAC
- Unit 3 Outcome 2 – Data Analysis SAT Report
- Unit 4 Outcome 1 – MMOS presenting Findings on U3O2
- Unit 4 Outcome 2 – Information Management SAC
- An interest in computing, knowledge of office software, General Maths Year 11 advantageous.
- Year 11 Computing Units 1 & 2